VSA Florida provides teaching artists to lead art learning experiences in self-contained ESE or inclusive PreK-12 classrooms throughout the State of Florida. Residencies are tied directly to Florida Standards and increase the artistic skills and cognitive learning of students with disabilities as well as provide a venue for students to express themselves creatively in appropriate ways. VSA Florida provides a variety of residency options, including:
- Standard Residency: Eight one-hour sessions in visual art, music, movement/ dance, or drama. Standard residency requirements and forms.
- Modern Skills for Success Residency (ArtThread): Eight one-hour sessions using ArtThread, an interactive online gallery, and Splash, the integrated art-making tool designed for transition students and adults. Standard residency requirements and forms.
- Start with the Arts Residency: Eight one-hour sessions using the Start with the Arts curriculum designed for early childhood learners (PreK- 2nd grade). Standard residency requirements and forms.
- Partnership Residency (includes a field trip): Please note- schools are responsible for transportation costs associated with Partnership Residencies.
- Performance Residency: Eight one-hour sessions in music, movement/ dance, or drama and a culminating performance at a local theater space. Performance partnership residency requirements and forms.
- Museum Residency: Seven one-hour sessions in visual art, two trips to a local museum, and a public exhibition. Museum Partnership residency requirements and forms.
- Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) Residency: 10 one-hour sessions in detention centers, alternative high schools, and residential facilities. Residencies may be in visual art, music, movement/ dance, or drama. DJJ residency requirements and forms.
- Adult Residency: This residency opportunity can be of variable length and occurs when specific funding is available for adults with disabilities. The goals for these residencies are determined with the site administrator.
For more information on the artist in residence programs, please contact Dee Miller, Director of Education, at email@example.com or 813-974-0745.
Through a contract with the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, VSA Florida has received funding to provide 57 residencies in Florida. VSA Florida is a member of the VSA Affiliate Network, a program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.