October 14 - 26, 2016
Jacksonville - Tampa – Miami
Now in its second year, “A New Definition of Dance” features internationally renowned dancers of exceptional merit, who also have disabilities. The program will include breakdancers Luca “LazyLegz” Patuelli and Roya Abdol Hosini, African musician and dancer Sidiki Conde, World and European champions in wheelchair ballroom dancing Hanna Harchakova and Ihar Kisialiou, DanceAbility® International founder Alito Alessi, award-winning Australian dancer Marc Brew, Hai Cohen and Tali Wertheim from Israel’s Vertigo Dance Company, Dwayne Scheuneman from REVolutions Dance, wheelchair dancers Frank Hull and Marcie Ryan, Chinese classical dancer Liu Yan, as well as Florida-based companies Karen Peterson and Dancers and Sarasota Contemporary Dance. For 2016 artist bios and pictures, click here!
With nearly two weeks of statewide events, “A New Definition of Dance” strives to break down negative stereotypes of people with disabilities, introduce students and veterans with disabilities to a new method of communication and self-expression, encourage dance majors to explore dance forms through varying types of bodies and abilities, and provide career development and professional opportunities for artists with disabilities.
Click here to download the “A New Definition of Dance” flyer.
Click here to download the “Integrated Dance” conference flyer.
A limited amount of participation stipends are available for Florida residents. Click here for more information and to apply for an Integrated Dance conference participation stipend. Please note: current USF students are not eligible for the stipend.
Coming in October- Explore the accessible or integrated dance programs other VSA Affiliates are doing worldwide through the Borderless Art project.
A New Definition of Dance public events
- Friday, October 14, 2016, 8:30-10:30 AM- Duval County School Teacher in Service, Hosted at Fort Caroline Middle School, 3787 University Club Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32277
- Friday, October 14, 2016, 12:00 - 1:00 PM - Mayo Clinic Workshop for staff, Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Rd S, Jacksonville, FL 32224 – BLDG and ROOM # TBA (Campus Map: http://www.mayoclinic.org/documents/mc1663-59-pdf/doc-20078881)
- Friday, October 14, 2016, 12:30-1:30 PM- Student Demonstration by Luca, Alden Road Exceptional Center, 11780 Alden Road, Jacksonville, FL 32246
- Saturday, October 15, 2016, 10AM to 12PM - University Community Workshop for students/faculty/general public, Hosted at Jacksonville University, 2800 University Blvd N, Jacksonville, FL 32211 / BLDG 4 (Campus map: http://www.ju.edu/aboutju/Documents/Campus_Map.pdf)
- Monday, October 17, 2016: 7:30- 8:30 PM- Performance and presentation by Luca “Lazylegz” Patuelli at the Marshall Student Center Oval Theater, with reception to follow in the Centre Gallery. Free. USF students with student ID seated first.
- Friday, October 21, 2016: 7:30- 9:30 PM- Performance at the USF Music Performance Hall. Free, however ticket reservation required. We're sorry, we have reached the maximum amount of reservations for this event however a que for those without a reservation will begin at 6:45pm at the venue. Any tickets not claimed by 7:15pm will be released to those in the waiting line only.
All tickets are free however there is a limit of 10 tickets per person. The person ordering will be required to pick up all ordered tickets at one time.
Please bring a printed copy of your order confirmation and be prepared to sign for the tickets at the box office.
Seating will begin approximately at 7:00pm. Reservations are guaranteed until 7:15pm; remaining tickets are subject to redistribution at that time.
We are committed to providing access and an enjoyable show for all. USF’s Student Disability Services is pleased to provide audio description and CART transcription for the show. **If you require any special accommodations, including accessible seating, please contact Jan Beals at email@example.com, with the type of accommodation requested.
Location & Parking: USF Music Concert Hall, 3755 USF Holly Drive, Tampa, Florida. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/administrative-services/parking/maps/index.aspx for a campus map. Parking is available in lots 3A, 3B, 3C and 9A starting at 7 pm. Additional accessible parking spaces for vehicles displaying a handicap parking permit will be available in lot 9C at the southeast corner of Laurel and Holly Drives. USF parking permits required for all other lots.
- Saturday, October 22, 2016: 9:30 AM-5:30 PM- Conference: Integrated Dance: Creating Our Future, Merging Our Strengths. TECO Conference Room in the Anchin Center, College of Education and USF School of Theatre & Dance. Registration required.
- Tuesday, October 25, 2016: 6:00 - 7:15 PM- Workshop #1 for professional dancers and choreographers with Hai Cohen & Tali Wertheim, from Israel's Vertigo Dance Company.
- Tuesday, October 25, 2016: 7:45 - 9:00 PM- Workshop #2 for professional dancers and choreographers with Merry Lynn Morris, Instructor at the University of South Florida School of Theater & Dance; and Dwayne Scheuneman, from REVolutions Dance.
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016: 6:00 - 7:15 PM- Master class #1 for dance students ages 13-22 with Sidiki Conde, African Musician and Dancer.
- Wednesday, October 26, 2016: 7:45 - 9:00 PM- Master class #2 for dance students ages 13-22 with Hai Cohen & Tali Wertheim, from Israel's Vertigo Dance Company.
Special thanks to the many sponsors who made this program possible:
“A New Definition of Dance" is funded in part by a grant from South Arts in partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts and the Florida Department of State- Division of Cultural Affairs, and with the support of the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Mayor and Board of County Commissioners.”